Sunday, February 15, 2009

liking not feeling like the minority

so there has been some fall out from my previously posted item regarding linking without thinking...ironically enough not more than a few days later I read this in Dear Abby. I admit it made me feel a teensy bit better. Read on.

February 10, 2009
DEAR ABBY: I am a private person by nature and avoid doing a lot of posting on the Internet because of it. My problem is a friend I'll call "Maria," who constantly posts pictures of our outings with friends on her Web site for everyone to see. The photos themselves are not embarrassing, I just prefer not having my face plastered all over the Internet. Most recently, Maria posted photographs from my wedding without asking me, and it really bothered me. I understand that she is an outgoing person who enjoys sharing details of her life, but I feel like my privacy has been invaded. I am not the only person in our group that feels this way. How do we ask her to stop posting these images without offending her? -- OVEREXPOSED IN SAN FRANCISCO

DEAR OVEREXPOSED: You do it by telling Maria -- with a smile -- that posting your pictures on her Web site makes you uncomfortable and to please stop it. If you don't have the courage to confront her one-on-one, then do it as a group. Should Marie "forget" and continue posting pictures you'd rather not appear online, remember to duck when she whips out her camera.

I do realize that this does not justify the assumption on my part in scolding a linking without thinking person, but it does make me glad to know I'm not the only person out there who doesn't want their personal business out there all over (hence the family blog being private, etc).

I've stepped off my soapbox, but didn't fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you really think or feel...