Friday, April 17, 2009

I just got validated...

and it wasn't a stamp on my parking ticket. Oprah did it. There I said it, Oprah. I know now I am one amongst many who can say Oprah changed my life, well the truth is she didn't, she just facilitated it. How you ask, well I just watched this: http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20090311-tows-mom-truth
and I ask, why did it take Oprah to break this out in the open?

Why is it that we as moms think we need to keep all these dirty little secrets about conceiving, childbirth, mommyhood and all the rest? For example, I had an emergency c-section, yeah yeah I know all the haters out there that will tell me I could have tried all my options, but really when it comes down to it my little guy was brought into this world healthy so who cares how he got here? Well part 2 of this is that I didn't do so hot in the c-section, to put it frankly I freaked out and they gave me good drugs and I don't remember naming my sweet boy. Yeah it sucks, but I'm done feeling bad about that, in fact if that's the worse thing I do as a parent I'm golden. So back to the super secret mommy society, shortly after having my sweet boy a friend had a scheduled c-section (go ahead all you haters, have an opinion on this too) because her baby was breach and her amniotic fluid was low. So she asked me what to expect, I was painfully candid: is sucked. Mind you this is a woman who has successfully brought two kids into the world "naturally", I honestly didn't think I could scare her. In steps a friend whom I love very much...but she kinda tested that at this moment...she tried to censor.

Why I ask, do we feel compelled to censor motherhood. Its a dirty job, the pay is awful, there's poor communication in the workplace, no sick days, no vacation (barring a hospital stay), there's no consistency and most of all we moms still feel inadequate most of the time.

This inadequacy part is what confuses me as well. In all honesty I think we're heroic, infinitely wonderful and minor miracle workers. So here's the deal, don't ask me how mommyhood is if you don't want the truth, because I will tell you. I let my boy watch dvr'd shows so I can shower, I consent when I just can't take it anymore, I don't wash his hands before he eats every time, the list goes on. However, I am leading a revolution right here in my little world, mommyhood ain't easy and I won't tell you it is...but I wouldn't trade it for the world, cause quite frankly I think I'm pretty darn good at it and so should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you really think or feel...